The sun... it's a dilemma. We know that to keep our skin healthy, and minimize the signs of aging, we should limit our exposure to it. On the other hand, we also need a regular dose of vitamin D to nourish our bodies and keep ourselves in good spirits. So what’s a sunny destination bound girl to do? I am happy to say that you can have your cake and eat it too.
First and foremost, sun damage prevention with a good sun sunscreen is crucial. In addition to this, there are two products I can’t live without when that warm hug from the sun has kept me just a little too long in its embrace.
When I was developing the Lavender-Chamomile body lotion, I specifically wanted to create a product that I could use after being at the beach. Something that was rich, hydrating and soothing for sun kissed skin. I included Cocoa butter because of its moisturizing properties, and Shea butter because it is nourishing and softens dry skin. Avocado oil contains vitamins A, B and D, which give it its healing properties and make it an effective cell regenerator. It is also extremely soothing to dry skin because it’s able to deeply penetrate the outer layers. Lavender essential oil is anti-inflammatory and calming and Chamomile helps healing and is often the first essential oil to turn to for a burn. I use this lotion on my kids too!
My second must-have is Body Oil. A lot of people are afraid to use a body oil because they think it will be too greasy but believe me when I say, a body oil is the best thing to take on a sunny vacation! It's soothing, deeply moisturizing and leaves your skin soft and shimmery. Our Body Oil is packed with ingredients that make it a go-to before and after spending time in the sun. The essential oil Ho-wood helps calm inflamed skin and prevents wrinkles. Sandalwood is beneficial for dry, dehydrated skin. The Bergamot used in this Body Oil is beptane-free, so it is safe to use in the sun (many citrus oils are phototoxic and should not be used when out in the sun). But the real secret ingredient is Sesame oil. Did you know it has a natural SPF of 4? It not only soothes and heals the skin, but it also offers it a light protection against the sun’s harmful rays. You can use this oil everywhere: hair, face and body!
So if you are planning that tropical getaway in the near future, make sure you pack these two essentials. Enjoy your time in the sun while protecting and nourishing that precious skin. Happy travels!
Ah winter… We love it for the beautiful first snow fall and magical holiday period but hate it for the havoc it can wreak on our skin (and moral). Your face takes quite a beating during this time of year with the cold weather outside and dry air inside. If you have resigned yourself to lizard-like dry skin and chapped lips we have three power products that will be game changers. You can purchase the trio for $60 as a special Valentine's Day offer (it comes wrapped in a lovely gift package) or simply click the individual links below.
Rose-Geranium Toner $15
Why it’s a power player:
- The Aloe Vera Gel Juice acts as a humectant drawing moisture into the skin.
- The Rose Water is gentle, hydrating and refreshing.
- The Witch Hazel is mildly astringent and unlike many drug store products in contains no alcohol so it’s purifying without drying.
- The Rose Geranium Essential Oil creates balance between oily and dry skin and its flowery scent will help to relieve stress and anxiety that can accompany the winter months.
The Essential Facial Oil $45
Considering the harsh conditions to which you expose your face during winter, providing sufficient hydration is crucial. Using an oil gives extra nourishment to the skin without leaving it greasy. You can wear it under your moisturizer, on its own, or blend a little into your foundation for a healthy glow. You can use it on your nails too!
Why it’s a power player:
Three potent oils make this product a must have for winter.
- Avocado Oil is rich in essential fatty acids and contains large amounts of vitamins A,B and D.
- Argan Oil is a dry oil, high in Vitamin E and antioxidants.
- Rosehip Seed Oil works on a cellular level to rejuvenate the skin. Rich in vitamin C it helps reduce fine lines, smoothing the surface of the skin.
- A combination of essential oils that are anti-aging, anti-inflammatory, balancing and slightly astringent.
Spearmint-Vanilla Lip Balm $5
Most lip balms contain three elements that are actually bad for your lips (and your health): fake flavour, petroleum and artificial dyes. Knowing that most of what you put on your lips is ingested, and that there are links between petroleum based products and cancer, think twice about which brands you choose to apply on that pretty pout of yours.
Why it’s a power player:
- Beeswax protects your lip’s delicate skin.
- Grapeseed oil, jojoba oil and shea butter soothe, repair and soften lips.
- A lovely minty vanilla scent that comes from essential oils makes the application a pleasure for the senses.
Now that you know what to stock on your top shelf to stay gorgeous this season, you can shop this power trio in our online store here or check out the list of retailers in your area. For more precious skincare tips, follow us on Facebook and Twitter.